Ever since I made my first corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot 10+ years ago, I’ve been hooked on slow cooked St. Patty’s fare.
With limited staples on hand, I decided to try my hand at this Shepherds pie recipe using ground turkey, baby Yukon Gold potatoes, carrots and broccoli. It turned out well! Luck of the Irish perhaps?
First, prepare mashed potatoes using your preferred technique and scoop into a bowl so you can use the same pot for the meat to cut back on dishes.
Brown ground turkey and 2 cloves of garlic, and then add the following:
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 generous handfuls of sliced baby carrots (or 2 regular chopped carrots)
- 1 cup frozen broccoli (or peas)
- 1 cup broth (I used chicken)
- 1/4 cup wine (I used white)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Generous sprinkling dried thyme
Stir and simmer until liquid is almost fully absorbed. Add to a greased crock pot in an even layer and then spread the mashed potatoes over the top. Season with salt and pepper.
After cooking on low for about 3-4 hours, grate cheddar cheese over the top. Slainte!